In America we celebrate New Years Eve transitioning into New Year’s Day on January 1st. In China, New Year’s Day is also the first day of the first month but of the Lunar Calendar!
Chinese New Year dates vary each year and could fall at the end of January or February. This Year Chinese New Year will fall on February 19th and last for 15 days ending on the first full moon of the year.
Each year is assigned an animal according to the Chinese zodiac, 2015 is the year of the goat!
Here is a list of fun crafts and recipes to try for each day in the Chinese New Year celebration:
- Blossom Tree craft: http://www.marthastewart.com/265472/tissue-cherry-blossom-tree
- Chinese Dragon puppet craft: http://www.freekidscrafts.com/chinese-dragon-puppet/
- Year of the Goat craft: http://mommysbundle.com/new-years-craft-kids-year-goat/
- Origami: http://www.origami-fun.com/origami-for-kids.html
- Pineapple tarts: http://rasamalaysia.com/pineapple-tarts/
- Learn to eat with chopsticks: http://www.lauraleighparker.com/2011/02/teach-kids-chopsticks/
- Paper fan craft: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/chinese-fan-craft
- Kueh bahulu (sponge cakes): http://www.qlkitchen.com/festive-kuih-bahulu-recipe/
- Make a red letter envelope: http://www.firstpalette.com/Craft_themes/World/chineseredenvelope/chineseredenvelope.html
- Make a Chinese banner: http://organizeyourstuffnow.com/wordpress/chinese-year-banner
- Chinese firecracker craft: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/chinese-firecracker-craft
- Learn a Chinese New Year greeting: http://www.china-family-adventure.com/chinese-new-year-greetings.html#.VOSsQi6m79M
- Chinese New Year games: http://chinesenew-year.com/chinese-new-year-2015-games-for-kids-and-people/
- Longevity noodle recipe (sub black beans or tofu for a veg friendly option):http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/longevity-noodles-0
- Chinese lantern craft: http://www.china-family-adventure.com/how-to-make-chinese-lanterns.html#.VOSryC6m79M
Subscribe for more updates:
Check us out on Facebook: